Long wait times, limited appointment availability, brief time with your doctor, feeling like just a number rather than a patient — these are all common inconveniences of traditional primary care. Concierge medicine introduces a solution to those issues through a luxury boutique health care experience. This structure moves away from the fee-for-service payment method and more towards value-based care to provide quality health care for everyone. It allows doctors to limit the number of patients they see and focus on doctor-patient relationships.
Concierge medicine is ideal for patients with chronic illnesses who need more frequent visits with their medical professionals. On average, Americans wait approximately 24 days to see a new doctor and sit for hours to have appointments that last only 18 minutes. Traditional primary care physicians can have a patient panel of up to 3,000 and see as many as 40 patients in a day. With direct primary care, doctors can take their time to get to the root of the problem and focus on preventative treatment while developing a caring relationship.
About Chronic Illness
Chronic diseases are conditions that last for a year or more, including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, lung disease, kidney disease and Alzheimer’s Disease. They are the leading causes of death and disability in the United States. They also make up 90% of the nation’s $3.8 trillion in annual health care costs according to the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP).
These conditions are often accompanied by stress, pain, fatigue and require ongoing medical attention or regularly limiting daily activities. Unlike acute illnesses such as the flu, there is no short period until you are back to ‘normal’ and can take a toll on overall health.
Risk Factors for Chronic Illness
Several risk factors increase the likelihood of developing a chronic condition. Here are the most common practices that affect our health:
- Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable disease, disability and death in the United States. It harms nearly every organ of the body and contributes to cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung disease, Type 2 diabetes and other chronic conditions. Secondhand smoke also affects 58 million nonsmoking Americans.
- Poor nutrition also contributes to obesity, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and certain cancers. Diets in the United States are high in added sugars, sodium and saturated fats. A healthy diet will help combat these conditions and increase overall lifespan.
- Physical activity is beneficial for growth and development, reduces the risk of several chronic diseases, improves daily function and better sleep at night. However, only one in four adults in the United States gets the recommended physical activity levels.
- Excessive use of alcohol such as binge drinking can lead to chronic diseases and other serious problems such as alcohol use disorder, difficulties with learning, memory and mental health.
Minimizing these risk factors will help lower your risk for chronic diseases and future health problems. Additionally, you should schedule regular check-ups with your primary care physician to focus on your wellness plan and take a proactive health approach.
What is Concierge Medicine?
Concierge medicine — also known as concierge care, boutique medicine, retainer-based medicine, platinum practice and direct primary care — is a type of membership-based health care that emphasizes personalized care along with accessibility and convenience. KC Primary Care aims to eliminate the wait time and provide accessible medical assistance using the concierge medicine structure. We limit the number of patients we take on to guarantee the highest level of attention and care possible.
For a quarterly fee, you get unlimited access to your doctor through in-office and telehealth visits that last as long as you need. It removes interference from corporate health systems and focuses solely on providing quality health care and establishing relationships. We also offer comprehensive coverage and do our best to minimize outside referrals for the convenience and comfort of our patients.
Advantages with Kansas City Primary Care
- Minimized wait time – With greater appointment availability and accessibility through virtual and in-person visits, our patients experience little to no wait time.
- Certified doctors – We offer over 53 years of medical experience and specialized training to give the care that you need.
- Longer time with the doctor – With a lower doctor-to-patient ratio, our average appointment time is one-hour rather than the traditional five-minute visits allowing our patients more time to get the help they need.
- House visits – We offer in-home visits to keep you comfortable and ensure privacy for those who need it.
- Personalized care – We provide enhanced healthcare through regular check-ups and personalized wellness plans that suit your individual needs.
- Guaranteed access – We offer care 24 hours a day, seven days a week, as well as same-day or next-day appointments, so you are not waiting to get the care you need.
Our Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I still use my health insurance? Yes. Our model allows patients to use their insurance for services rendered by our providers covered by your health plan.
- How much does it cost to become a member of KC Primary Care? Our membership cost is $450 per quarter.
- Is there a limit on how often my concierge doctor can see me? No, there are no limits on how often our providers can see you.
- If I become ill and require extensive medical care, will my fees increase? No, your annual fee will never change based on your health status.
- Do you offer telemedicine services to your patients? Yes, we always offer telemedicine as an option for our members.
- If I get sick outside of regular business hours, will you be available to see me? Yes, a provider will always be available to our members within a reasonable amount of time, 24 hours per day, seven days a week, for an in-person visit or telemedicine appointment.
- Are you taking new patients? Yes, give us a call to get started.
People with chronic illnesses may need a unique treatment schedule to assess the progression of symptoms. Concierge medicine can serve as a beneficial solution by simplifying the process and enhancing care. KC Primary Care is here to provide you with direct care that is customized and works for you. If you still have questions about concierge medicine options in Kansas City, give us a call today at 816-479-5222 or contact us now.